Plov (by Olga Murshudova)
Cooking time: 1.5 h.
- 3 onions
- 3 carrots
- Meat (2-3 chicken breasts) or 0.5 kg lamb
- 2-2.5 cups of Basmati rice
- Water: 2.5 cups for 2 cups of rice, or 3 cups of water for 2.5 cups of rice
- A handfull of raisins (optional)
- Spices: cumin seeds, black pepper, curry powder.
- Slice onion in rings. Fry half rings of onion in vegetable oil in the thick walled pan till golden.
- Add spices (for 30 seconds).
- Add meat, cut in small pieces. Fry.
- Add thinly sliced or grated carrot, fry.
- Cover with water and bring to boil.
- Season with salt.
- Cook on a low heat (20 min for chicken or half an hour for lamb).
- Meanwhile soak the rice and wash it well. Cover meat with washed rice, even the rice and cook under the lid for another 15-20 min on a small heat).
- When cooked, let it stand for 15 -20 min before serving.