Takes approximately 1 hour. Serves 8-10.
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups of sugar
- 250g butter (margarine)
- 3 cups of plain flour
- 1/2 tea spoon of baking soda
- cranberry/blackcurrant jam
- 1 cup of cranberries
- Separate whites from the yolks of three eggs.
- Mix yolks with one cup of sugar.
- Melt 250g of butter, to make it warm, not hot.
- Mix butter with yolks and sugar.
- Add 3 cups of plain flour and baking soda, mix.
- Spread the dough on the baking tray with grease proof paper by hand. Bake for 20-30 min on the medium heat (gas mark 4-5)
- Take it out of the oven and spread some sour jam over it (I used homemade blackcurrant, but you can blend some cranberries with sugar).
- Beat the egg whites, add just under a cup of sugar, whisk.
- Sprinkle some cranberries on the top of the jam.
- Spread whisked egg whites over the berries and bake for another 10-15 min.
- Cut into pieces after cooling a little.